We drove to my in-laws place in central France, stopping halfway (in Baune) for one night. We toured Hotel Dieu (Alex's first time there) and it was nice. It was the calm before the storm. I was happy when the worst of it was a couple of chicken pox on my son, a sniffle from my hubby and of course, starring mostly my woes: I was constantly sitting to rest after... nothing (ahhh preggers...). The positive side of constantly resting is that I used the time to listen to the audio guide. In the meantime E took Alex repeatedly into the apothocary (he really enjoyed it!!). I don't know if his interest is recent due to the chicken pox - or if it's been around longer due to repeated ear infections, colds, hospital visits for allergic reactions to mosquito bites or what, but it seems to have struck a chord with him. Maybe we'll have a little pharmacist in the future. Hopefully, the legal kind. ;)
Unbeknownst to us, our few hours out revived E's nasty cold (which I initially gave him - I thought I had allergies...). But he took it and mutated it into something quite ugly. So yet again, we arrived on my In-Laws' front step in need of care. Yep, it's become a joke: they rarely see their grandson healthy. Which is weird because he's generally, quite healthy. Anyway, we had a separate room for E and another for me and Alex who insisted on sharing my bed. I have to admit, although 2 doctors and everything I read about contagions promises that if I've had chicken pox once, I can't catch it again. I've had my doubts. I sure put it to the test!
The potty training went to the crapper. And silly us, we had mostly pull-ups in-tow so putting a new diaper on (once we got past the 30 minute fear factor / temper tantrum) was like walking tentatively in a mine field (surely, not literally speaking but...) getting that pull-up up the spotty legs was a tactical endeavor: stretching and pinching the diaper the whole way up so that not a single bit of the it touched a little nasty bomb causing an explosion of pain.
Thanks goodness we had the odd visit from Alex's grandmother or grandfather during these times. It helped pacify the worn-out patience of giving medicine and applying creams and lotions. After one particular diaper changing / medicine interval E's dad commented how it seemed like a hospital in the room. Well, I tell you, I was proud! We had finally perfected our stealth diaper, the secret lotion and the convincing of eye-cream application: "First we will put it on, then we will take it off". While smudging it in as quickly as possible. What ever works right?
I'm happy to say now that we have the worst behind us. Surprisingly and fortunately, my in-laws welcomed us back for another visit.
Just as we were leaving the in-laws' Alex's mood and appetite were improving and he lasted the whole way home without any problems. He was a bit jet-lagged from his sick-sleep schedule but after a few days at home we're approaching a proper schedule again.
We have a vacation planned to Portugual now, leaving on Friday. Our biggest worry is if they'll let Alex on the flight with his still visible spots. Hummmm.... He's looking much better (it's all relative of course...) and of course and is not contagious anymore but still... I hope we won't have any problems.
Now I can go be a proper whale, the prima Donna of my own production, close to a beach where a proper whale belongs and enjoy relaxing with my healthier and growing family.
No comments:
Post a Comment